Monday, January 26, 2015

Awards-Nazi Award Nominations: Best Costume Design

I unveilled my five picks for Best Hair and Makeup this morning, but that's only half of what goes into defining the look of a character on film. Costume designers have to do a lot of heavy lifting (or sewing, as it were) on that front too.

Similarly to my opinion of the Best Supporting Actor field, I can't help but think it's been a bit of a weak year. Not to say that any of the five costume designers listed below don't deserve the praise coming their way, but I found that there weren't that many worthy contenders to pick from, which I think is reflected in my ballot's similarity to the Oscar slate (again, like in Best Supporting Actor). Consensus is boring for awards watchers, I know, but sometimes it's because the best options really are that obvious. I suppose I should look at the glass as being half full and rejoice that costume designers branch mostly got it right this year.

Some for it's worth, here are my (and many other people's) Best Costume Design nominees for 2014:

The Boxtrolls (Deborah Cook)
Laika's done a good job of highlighting Cook's contribution to their meticulous hand-crafted process. Such immaculate, microscopic detail!

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Milena Canonero)
Canonero gives every character a signature look that gels beautifully with the 'alternate history' aesthetic of the world they inhabit.

Inherent Vice (Mark Bridges)
Bridges' threads – besides being period compatible – are highly in tune with the lunacy of this picture. So much sartorial personality!

Into the Woods (Colleen Atwood)
That ridiculous wolf outfit notwithstanding, Atwood's designs are, as usual, singular and inventive. Love the patterns and colour choices.

Maleficent (Anna B. Sheppard)
Drawing inspiration from the 1959 animated classic, Sheppard sews together a wardrobe that does justice to its iconic characters while still doing its own thing.

Just missed:
The Immigrant (Patricia Norris)
A Most Violent Year (Kasia Walicka-Maimone)
Mr. Turner (Jacqueline Durran)
Snowpiercer (Catherine George)
The Theory of Everything (Steven Noble)

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the same, you should compare with mine

    https://gonewiththewinawards.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/2015-silver-sleuth-nominations-suspects-in-best-costume-design/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.. I'm surprised you didn't nominate The Theory Everything. You seemed like one of its biggest champions

    Anyways My Best Costume Design picks are:

    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    The Immigrant
    Inherent Vice
    Into the Woods
    The Two Faces of January

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canonero won years ago for Marie Antoinette, I'm curious about your thoughts on the costume designs in that movie. Nomination worthy?

      Delete
    2. If I ever get around to seeing it I'll let you know.

      Delete